Not quite GTA – This applies to patients who have contacted NHS-111, and have been screened by a microbiologist. From an ED point-of-view, this is not an emergency and we can arrange for the patient to attend at a time that will be convenient for them and the department (which may be the following day).
- Over the phone with reception
- Via other professional
Prepare blue infection tray:
- 4 Green respiratory/nasal swabs
- 4 blue microbiology bags with yellow infection risk stickers
- 1 purple specimen bag
- Plastic sample box from the lab
- Hand gel
- Self-Isolation advice sheet
- Non sterile gloves for both nurse and doctor (for mask removal)
- Stickers and requisition for swabs – printed.
- Yellow weaver bin, orange bag inside and another lose orange bag for FFP3/HOOD.
Don PPE which includes:
- Change into Scrubs ( found in Majax room)
- Thumb loop gowns ( if a hood user put hood on before gown)
- Apply FFP3
- Eye protection
- Long gloves
Going out to patient:
- Ensure patient is under the tunnel to maintain dignity.
- Clinically assess (Are they safe to go home and self-isolate? Do we need to bring them into the department?)
- Obtain Swabs
- Give information leaflet, re-enforce self-isolation.
Decontamination outside: DOFFING
- Remove gloves, gown, eye protection (Unless hood user) taking them off with care, away from the body. Place in orange bag in yellow weaver bin.
- Tie first orange bag
- Use hand sanitiser
- Apply none sterile glove
- Remove FFP3 mask/hood, place in second orange bag, then remove none sterile gloves place in orange bag with mask/hood.
- Use hand sanitiser
- Return to decontamination area within the department
Decontamination area with department:
- On returning to area, apply apron and gloves
- Remove FFP3/Hood, tristel all surfaces including blue tray, inside and outside of yellow bin and masks/hoods.
- Double bag, bags that have been outside sealing with a swan neck tie, which can be found at the decontamination area.
- Take apron and gloves off and discard in orange bin.
- Wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Change out of scrubs place in red laundry bag and then into a white laundry bag.
- Make sure samples are hand delivered to lab.
- Set trolley up ready for next case.