Skip to content
Any patient presenting to ED with ONLY Ophthalmic symptoms should be referred directly by the ED triage team to Ophthalmology:
- 08:30 – 17:30 Mon-Fri, and 09:00 – 12:00 Sat all referrals are to be made directly to dedicated phone
- Out is these times refers to Ophthalmology on-call
- Referrer name + grade + location.
- Patient details – 3 points of ID (name + D.O.B. + NHS / hospital number).
- Best contact number for patient.
- COVID-19 status of patient.
- Asymptomatic, COVID-19 NOT suspected.
- Symptomatic, COVID-19 SUSPECTED.
- Symptomatic, COVID-19 CONFIRMED.
- Ophthalmic symptoms / signs on presentation.
Any patient presenting to ED with Ophthalmic symptoms/signs IN ADDITION TO other systemic issues should continue to be assessed and managed by ED as normal:
- Refer as above once deemed stable
- If admitted under another team (e.g medics) – ensure admitting team area aware that the referral is still to be made (Document clearly in notes and verbally hand over)
Full Guide – HERE