You may have seen in the news early results from the RECOVERY trial.
In Covid-19 patients requiring either Oxygen or Intubation, dexamethasone has been shown to reduce mortality.
- Oxygen – 20% reduction in mortality
- Intubation – 35% reduction in mortality
- No respiratory support required – No benefit found
Inclusion: Covid-19 patient requiring oxygen or intubation
Medication: (RECOVERY study protocol)
- Dexamethasone administered as an oral (liquid or tablets) or intravenous preparation 6 mg once daily for 10 days.
- In pregnancy or breastfeeding women, prednisolone 40 mg administered by mouth (or intravenous hydrocortisone 80 mg twice daily) should be used instead of dexamethasone.
Post Dex Glucose monitoring:
- Glucose should be checked every 6hrs (ideally fasted i.e. before meal)
- If Glucose ≥12, follow the chart below either guided by their normal Total Daily Dose (TDD) of insulin, or weight if insulin nave, or unknown.
- Full protocol – HERE