Here is the Powerpoint presentation as an introduction to working in the ED for staff being redployed during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Here is an introduction to using FirstNet:
Digital ECG has now gone live on both sites.
We now have no excuse for loosing ECGs and not sending them to the wards with patients!
Please ensure you put an operator ID in as well as all the patient information to ensure the ECG transmits to EPR – if you are having problems look at the troubleshooting guide on the side of the machine.
Ensure a doctor/ACP signs all ECGs using EPR – just like when they were paper!
Quick Reference and Trouble Shooting Guide are available here Digital ECG Quick reference guide
The SOP for reviewing and signing ECGs is available here Digital ECG SOP
Very few of us come to work intent on doing harm. However, despite that we all keep making mistakes. Most of them pass unnoticed and do little harm, although we are all aware the times they don’t, and it is not only the patient that suffers. Read more
- Daily huddle happens at 8am, 5pm and 10pm please ensure you are there to present your patients
- Senior Reviews (ensure the review is documented):
- Child under 1yr
- Atraumatic Chest Pain >30yrs
- Abdo Pain >70yrs
- Return under 72 hrs (with the same condition)
- Nursing Roles (unique to ED)
- Nurse in Charge: They keep our department flowing, and need to know what is happening to your patients. Keep them updated with plans and referrals Or they will pester you.
- Triage Nurses: They make a triage assessments, set priority and stream the patients to the most appropriate area. (they have <5min/patient). The information they document is really important – read it! But remember its a quick initial assessment and wont be perfect.
- Multitalented HCA’s: They perform many roles in ED, bloods, cannulas, dressings, PoP’s and much more
It’s a good question in today’s climate of increasing patient numbers and complexity. Specialities that offer you the illusion of more control can seem attractive. But Emergency Medicine picks you, and can offer an exciting and varied career. Read more