The Fraility Same Day Emergency Care Unit (SDEC) is open at HRI.
This unit is designed to enable frail patients to return to their own homes as soon as possible with the care and support they need.
Is your patient frail? Calculate the Rockwood Score
Are they medically fit for discharge?
The SDEC may be the right place for them to ensure their discharge is safe and timely.
Flow to the SDEC
Full SDEC pathway is available here
CDU at HRI has closed therefore the pathway for the management of patients requiring MRI for suspected CES has changed.
- In hours
- ED will arrange the MRI scan and review the results and refer to Neurosurgery as required.
- Out of hours
- Patient requires admission: then this is under the orthopaedic team.
- Patient is fit to go home (with no immediate need to transfer to LGI for OOH MRI): then they can go home and return to AAU for orthopaedic review after their MRI scan (requested by ED and safety questionnaire completed). Please ensure these patients are referred to the on-call Orthopaedic SHO to be added to the trauma list and discussed/reviewed as per the pathway.
The full pathway is Suspected Cauda Equina Syndrome 2019
MRI Safety Questionnaire
Please see the updated SOP for Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Make sure you are familiar with this protocol and for anymore information please contact the Infection Control Team.
The patients ED needs to report has changed…
The key change with the new guidance is that not all patients who die in the ED need to be reported to the coroner….
Provided that none of the other circumstances as detailed in the guidance note apply deaths within 24 hours of admission to Hospital or a Hospice do not need to be reported with respect to a death of a person over 18 years of age in the following circumstances:
- A qualified medical practitioner certifies death is due to natural causes and
- The family or other party do not raise any concerns
The full guidance is available – Guide to Reporting Deaths April19
If you need to report to coroner – Death in ED
Ligature cutters are keep at the Nurse-in-Charges station
Remember to complete ReACT or CAMHS assessment tools on EPR Read more