Night OWLS is a confidential support line for children, young people, their parents and carers who live in Bradford, Leeds, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield. This is a pilot scheme funded till March 2022.Read more
In Aug 2021 the treatment of paracetamol toxicity within the trust is due to change, for both adults and children. We will start using the SNAP N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) regime 12hrs, and 2 bags, (instead of the traditional 21hr & 3 bag regime)
Quick Ref Guide
- Green – Send Home: Provide appropriate and clear guidance to the parent / carer and refer them to the patient advice sheet.
- Amber – Advice from Paediatrician should be sought and/or a clear management plan agreed with parents.
- Red – Move to Resus IMMEDIATE Senior/Paediatiric assessment
Ingestion of Strong Magnets is a TIME CRITICAL EMERGENCY
(Multiple Magnets OR a single Magnet and Metallic Objects)
Strong magnets (such as Neodymium)
- Now common place around the house
- From; fridge magnets to toys and peicings
- Intestinal injury can occur within 8-24 hours
- However, symptoms may take weeks to develop
- Symptomatic patients are a SURGICAL emergency
- Use X-Ray (NOT metal detectors)
- May require AP and lateral images to see how many
In the case of patient with Massive Haemorrhage weather that be from Trauma, Surgical, O&G, UGIB, you can activate the MTP
- Do the Basics – don’t forget ABCD
- Inform Transfusion and get someone to run a G&S sample down
- FFP can take up to 45min and platelets come from Leeds
- If you no longer need the MTP – inform transfusion and return products ASAP
Diabetic Ketoacidosis – remember in paediatrics this may be the 1st presentation of diabetes.
- Fluid – are more considered that adults due to the risk of cerebral oedema
- Insulin – WAIT – need 1hr of fluid first
- Paeds – involve them early
Ending up in the ED as a result of alcohol and or substance use is NOT normal behaviour
- Children who use alcohol or other substances are hugely vulnerable to sexual exploitation and other forms of abuse.
- The use of alcohol or drugs can be encouraged as part of the grooming process, or as a means of coping with a difficult situation for the young person.
- It is also likely that friends and close acquaintances of the young person are equally vulnerable.
Not all Allergies are Anaphylaxis!
Anaphylaxis is defined as:
- Severe life-threatening systemic hypersensitivity reaction
- Where BOTH of the following criteria are met: