Unfortunately under 1 year olds are at a higher risk of NAI and this needs to be considered in ALL presentations. But remember if the child can’t Crawl/Stand/Cruise/Walk they shouldn’t injure themselves.
Rolling is NOT mobility!
This group (typically <9mths) who can’t Crawl/Stand/Cruise/Walk, should not be able to cause themselves bruising or burns. and hence a high level of suspicion is required.
Any visible Bruises/Burns/Scalds complete following in ALL cases:
- Senior ED Review: To establish level of risk/concern
- Inform Children’s Social Services: This should be done for all irrespective of risk or concern [As social services can monitor attendances across all trusts]. But also information on home circumstances, and siblings can be gathered to better judge the safety of discharge.
- Inform Paeds Consultant: This should be done by the reviewing senior in ED [The Paeds Con may wish to admit, discharge or bring the child back to Paeds for review]
Contacting Children’s Social services – Health professionals only
- Kirklees: In hours (01484 456848), Out of hours (01484 414933)
- Calderdale: In hours (01422 393336), Out of hours (01422 288000)