Both COVID-19 infection and treatment with dexamethasone impair glycemic control. So its important to monitor blood sugars and consider DKA & HHS in COVID-19 patients. Latest guidance from DIABETES-UK
- Target glucose 6.0 -10.0 mmol/L (up to 12.0 mmol/L is acceptable)
Diabetic children sometimes attend ED with hyperglycaemia, but not in DKA (what should we do?)
Paeds have produced some advice to follow:
- Ketones over 0.6?
- <0.6: Encourage fluids & food, may need an insulin correction
- >0.6: ask Question 2
- Are there clinical features of DKA?
- NO: Encourage fluids & food, decide Insulin correction, will need to be monitored
- YES: Will need Paeds admission