Button Battery Ingestion

A button battery lodged in the Oesophagus is a medical emergency as it can cause necrosis and significant GI bleed – Refer immediately

If anybody is symptomatic after button battery ingestion they need referral to the Surgical team for urgent endoscopic removal

Symptoms include:

  • Respiratory difficulties
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Haemoptysis
  • Haematemasis

Honey is administered to coat the battery and delay the onset of alkaline burns that occur in the adjacent tissues when a button battery is lodged in the oesophagus. This should only occur in children older than 12 months with an intact swallow mechanism as honey is not safe below 12months.


Further Advice



US poisons centre

St Emlyns Podcast